Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hi my name is George and I was a Dreamweaver user...

_MG_9383

Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that until this week, I used Dreamweaver as my development environment. What?! It was what I used when I first started doing web stuff and it did its job. I tried dabbling with the alternatives a couple of times: Textmate, Eclipse, VIM. There seems to be somewhat steep learning curve for Eclipse and VIM. Textmate had no real FTP support (I usually worked off the development server).
That all changed this week. We had a consultant buddy of ours, Lou, come in to do some heavy duty stuff. We developed (mostly him) a workflow to work on the site locally and commit changes to the development server (our version control is on another server). I finally had time to set up the site on my Mac locally. Lou was also helpful in getting me setup with Eclipse PDT. It's a lighter version of Eclipse made for PHP. The one I had tried previously was for Java.
The learning curve gets a lot less steep when someone is there to answer your questions.
By the way, I'm using XAMPP for the LAMP stuff on the mac.

No comments: