Thursday, May 29, 2008

Gadgets: New Mouse - Logitech MX Revolution!

Found it on sale at buy.com via bensbargains.net
Shipped and arrived within 2 days - free shipping too!

It's a nice upgrade from my Logitech VX Revolution (the notebook version). I found it pretty annoying to have to change batteries every month or so.

I never have and will always refuse to install any kind of firmware (unless I couldn't find a way around it). The mouse out of the package works but some of the cool buttons (the search button and the thumb wheel) are rendered useless.

Found two pages on the interweb for a better alternative than the Logitech software:
Logitech MX Revolution + OS X Leopard
Getting Logitech’s MX Revolution to Play Nice with Mac OSX

They both pointed at a driver called SteerMouse - which I promptly downloaded and installed.
After the restart I mapped the thumbwheel to activate Expose when I scroll down and show desktop when I scroll up (two things I use pretty often - saves me the energy of moving the mouse to the corners)

Pretty cool: clicking on the scroll wheel toggles the free flow scrolling and micro precision scrolling

No comments: