Friday, May 2, 2008

Tech: Wayne's hard drive crashed + Importance of Backup


Wayne has one of these here Lenovo ThinkPads. Which one? I'm not sure. It has a 15 inch screen and doesn't double as a heating pad like my MacBook Pro.
As much as I like to point at his blue screen and laugh while shaking my head once every 2 weeks, THIS IS NOT FUNNY. Like most paranoid tech (or used to be tech) people, I'm sure he constantly saves while typing. OS crashes are recoverable - if he's consistently hitting CTRL + S all the time (who doesn't right?), the most you'll lose is that couple of seconds / minutes of data. A Hard drive crash is another story. Data is a lot harder to recover.
That totally blows. Wayne is the shiny head of this outfit - lots of important data.
Time to upgrade to a Mac or XP (he was using Vista - and IMHO the hardware couldn't handle it).
This episode reminds me of the importance of back up. I should really be backing my data up more often. I do have that extra layer of protection because most of my important stuff sits in a repository somewhere else as well as several iterations across our servers (production, staging, devs, etc.). Even so, there are some files that are localized to this radiator of a laptop of mine.
Maybe it's time I upgrade to OS X Leopard + Time Machine?

No comments: